Flexible PCB technologies continue to experience significant growth fueled by demand for lighter, smaller, and more flexible electronics. Flexible printed circuits are now a key enabling technology for portable communications, medical devices, wearable sensors, and industrial equipment.
Flex PCB Reliable & Cost-Effective Solutions
Made of thin dielectric substrate and high ductility metal foil, flexible printed circuits can be bent or folded for use in both static and dynamic applications. Beyond thin, light, and conformable, flexible printed circuits are also high temperature and chemically resistant.
PICA’s engineers have been at the forefront of flexible printed circuit (flexible pcb) technology development since 1995, working with many industries, designing flexible printed circuit interconnect solutions for new products at competitive cost.
A PICA focus is impedance controlled circuitry, which is increasingly common in products today, where PICA has extensive experience and empirical data for designing flexible printed circuits that meet signal integrity, mechanical reliability, and cost requirements.
- Helps to achieve high packaging density requirements
- Facilitate increased assembly speed and consistency
- High thermal resistance and increased heat dissipation over PCB’s
- Flex circuits can be built with materials that are suitable for use in harsh operating environments (water and moisture resistant, high ambient temperatures, resistant to many oils and other chemicals)
- Flex circuits can bend, twist and fold to fully utilize limited space within an enclosure to reduce overall device size
- Increased reliability by decreasing interconnects from board to board and eliminating mechanical connectors
- Increased reliability as lower modulus reduces shock and vibration to both circuit and solder joints
- Thinner, lighter, smaller than common alternatives, FPC’s save up to 60% of the weight and space compared to Rigid PCB or wire harness applications
- Flexible Heaters – copper, constantan, and Inconel resistive foils
- Air Gap (un-bonded layers for increased flexibility)
- HDI – Blind and buried via, Via in pad
- FPCA (Assembly) – Press fit/compliant pins, Fine Pitch SMD / BGAs
- Shielding Options for EMI/Controlled Impedance (conductive film/silver/copper shielding)
- Multiple Termination Options – connectors, crimped terminals, direct soldering, and ACF bonding
- Heavy copper weights
- Embedded capacitance or resistance
- High temperature material bonding (press up to 400 degC)
- Automated solder dip process – tight solder thickness control
- ZIF end punching – tight tolerance control
- ACF bonding
- Cobra process – bonding enhancement
- Reverse bare – double access
- Hot Bar solder processing
- EMI shield film bonding and silver ink printing
- Color coverlay bonding for LED or cosmetic appearance